Wednesday 16 May 2012

Occupational Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging

The occupation which I have chosen for my blog is cooking. I observed this on my fieldwork one placement in kitchen assessment and making a cup of tea (this was also a type of assessment) for the patients. By the patients doing these assessments it gave them a feeling that they could be still independent with completing simple ADL’s. My role in this assessment was to fascinate them. I was often in-charge of determining if they would be safe in their own home to complete these two ADL’s. I chose this activity because I have a strong interest in baking which is closely linked to cooking.

I enjoy the feeling of satisfaction I get from baking and cooking and the people I bake and cook for. In slide 4 and 5 illustrates a purposeful and goal orientated activities through the preparing and cooking of the food. Being has been defined as time taken to reflect, be introspective or meditative, (re)discover the self, savour the moment, appreciate nature, art or music in a contemplative manner and to enjoy being with special people (Hammell, 1998a)

 In slides 8 and 9 it illustrates being though reflection, savouring the moment and appreciating food as art rather than simple food to fulfil your hangar. To become is a process or change in which the individual reflects on values, makes choices and engages in activities exploring new opportunities and in the process envisaging what they wish to become (Winlock, 1998).

Slides 14-15 illustrate the process of dreaming and becoming. Slide 16 shows arriving at the envisaged role. I
n slides 6-7 illustrates differing ways in which social interactions around cooking and food. This provides friendship and mutual support for everyone. These can happen there. Often when I got the patients to make a cup of tea I would make myself one and have a chat to them about various interests they might have been in. This helped then gain a sense of belonging and fulfilment in completing tasks we wanted them to do and also that we wanted them to enjoy their time in hospital as much as possible.

When taking photos of my friends or family members I made sure that their faces where not easily recognisable therefore their privacy was protected. I used images from the internet which where free and accessible. I cited and referenced them correctly therefore credit was provided. Since the images where already on the internet consent was not required from the individuals in the photos. I obtained informed consent of the friends and family members who are in the photos or took the photos used in my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment